1975 BMW 2002 Race Car NEW ENGINE !!!
- Completely restored in 1993 won several BMW awards in the 90s.
- In 1998 It was converted to a race car was raced on and off in BMWCCA and CVAR.
- In 2013 we bought it in great condition with the exception of a compression problem in the engine.
- In 2014-2015 the car has not been raced as a completely new engine and many other components were installed (14K +).
Today the car is in great shape ready to race. We are selling it because of other racing commitments.
The car is rust free and painted its original color, Tiaga. The roll cage was custom built by BMS
Setting up a 2002 to handle is no secret. It has to be lowered, stiffened and have a lot of negative camber.
• Front struts are from a 2002tii, which are beefier than regular 2002 struts due to larger spindles and a ½’’ wider track. They have been converted to adjustable coilovers with very stiff springs (I can’t remember whose). The front end has adjustable (both directions) camber plates.
• The larger front and rear roll bars are by Suspension Techniques and are adjustable.
• The rear subframe has been boxed to make it more rigid. Stiff spring on the rear also. The connection points for the subframe to the body have been beefed up also.
• Front strut brace
• Front discs are from an 83 320i. The calipers are from a 528i sedan. These are the biggest brakes you can put on the car and still run 13” wheels.
• Rear brakes are drum from a 320i also.
• Stainless steel brake lines
• The master cylinder is a larger unit from another BMW (not sure which one)
• There are various pad materials that can be used. The front pads will do at least 3 weekends. The rear drums, all season
• The transmission is a 5 speed OD from an early 80’s 320i. It was rebuilt about 5 years ago.
• The flywheel is aluminum NEW
• The rear diff is a Quaife LSD. The gear ratio is 411. Very expensive!
• The rear half shafts are the larger (and stronger) ones from a 320i
I have 3 sets
• 13x6 Mahle (BBS) basketweaves
• 13x6 BWA Sportstars. These are highly sought after Italian wheels because they are so light. Rare.
• 14x7 BMW basketweaves off a 325is. Great wheels.
The 2002 motor is 1990cc; in BMWspeak it’s known as an M-10. The block is cast iron and the head is aluminum. The motor can make from 100HP to 255HP+ depending on how it’s built. I choose to go the reliable route and make about 155HP.
• Carburetion is by twin 40DCOE sidedraft Webers. These carbs were rebuilt in 2016. Parts are readily available.
• NEW The camshaft is a Shrick 292. This is the most aggressive cam you can put in the motor w/o enlarging the cam journals. A lot of people actually like this cam in higher compression motors because it produces good torque.
• The pistons are from a 2002tii – 9.5:1.
• NEW Racing Heads and rods
• The oil pan is baffled so as not to starve the oil pump
• The front pulley is an underdrive design (less parasitic loss)
• It has an oil cooler
• Accusump pressurized oil reservoir to guard against oil pressure loss
• The radiator is custom made by BE-COOL
• The distributor is stock with a Petronics optical design installed
• The header is an oversize Stahl (German)
• NEW exhaust is custom built